Sunday 6 November 2011

Cycling in a Tuscan Autumn 21 ottobre 2011

Cycling in a Tuscan Autumn 21 ottobre 2011

The countryside is beautiful at this time of year. The hills continue to roll and as the leaves die you can see the sites so much better from your bike. As the leaves turn from green to yellow to red to brown and drop off you can see the countryside spring up where before there were just leaves. Even better the weather is still pretty wonderful when the sun shines. It can be a little windy but in the warm midday sun it can be over 20 C. Midday is also preferable for me to cycle as at this time most Italians are eating and visiting family, usually both, and the roads are very quiet. It seems that every day something changes in the countryside. There is also a lot of wind, which can be annoying for cycling, but this gets the leaves off quick and leaves (!!) the view behind.
Anyway, one time we went with the "amici di bici di Siena" - the friends in bikes of Siena, a rather sweet group of people, who are clearly not pros but are lovely dedicated people. They say "in bici e meglio" - on bike it's better and I love them for that. The camaraderie is great, and we went on a slow meander to the castle of Monteriggioni, where the mayor showed us the view from the ramparts, and then on to an Abbey where we had a tour and were fed some amazing food. Along with some rather splendid wine (of which I did not drink - I don't drink when I ride, mainly as I know that I would not be able to stop or say no, but also after what happened to Lesley G I will definitely not do that). Also, I guess that the Italians would not drink as much as I would,
Anyway, on the tour was this guy wearing these amazing clothes. I just do not know where to begin!!
For other cycling it is wonderful to see the vines turn yellow. Actually, the colours aren't as bright as last year, when I really regretted not having taken my camera, as the reds were incredible and when I went back a few days later it had completely changed.
It's great to be a rider this time of year.
Happy pedalling!

No comments:

Post a Comment