Tuesday 1 December 2009

Day 4 Tuesday 1st December



On the first day of Christmas my true love gave to me... Oh well, it's not the first day of xmas but it is the first day of December and the gods of Siena have granted us sun and a special day off - St. Asano's day. Which we only have off in Siena. Noone is sure why. I put in in wikipedia but nothing was there - however, Italian wikipedia does give an answer (http://it.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sant'Ansano). So I put the first paragraph in babelfish (http://babelfish.yahoo.com/translate_txt) and got this:


They pant, venerato like saint from the catholic Church, lived between the III and IV the century. According to the tradition it carried the Christianity and it evangelizzò the population of Siena, then Saena Julia, roman Cologne. We do not have precise news of Sant' They pant, if not that it was roman and that came from a wealthy family of Anicia name [1]. The rest is in good part not suffragata oral tradition from historical documents. He is the Saint patron of the city of Siena.

So that's cleared that up. They pant. They pant again. He is the Saint patron of the city of Siena.

I love the babelfish translations, some sense and some absolute garbage. For absolute super garbage try the multibabel where a sentence is translated in and out of english via other languages 5 times (http://tashian.com/multibabel/).


Beautifully sunny today, lazy morning and going to go for a walk later. Omlette for breakfast with toast. For some reason which has not been explained to me, the toaster has to go into the second bathroom to be made. It's one of the quirks of Planet Italy - just accept them quietly. Normally I don't go in to Dawn's bathroom. I have my own bathroom and Dawn has hers, so I sneaked in to hers to use the special strong plug to make the toast and took a photo out of the bathroom window of the church that was ding dinging. I think it is on the same property as us. Maybe it's our own private church for our residence? Celebrating Saint Asano no doubt.


The other photo is of the wine that is made where we live. We live in Residence della Tolfe and this is the wine that is made on our site. Very nice it is too. Last night we went for dinner with my boss-to-be whom I had never met, and is normally based in Cambridge, Mass. Possibly because it's the holiday the first two places were shut so it became quite a struggle to find a place to eat that was outside the city walls where we could drive to. Usual business of going up incredibly steep roads and round stupidly sharp corners and typically for this week, getting wet in the rain. I had a lovely pizza, they had calzones, and then came back and finished off Californication series 1 with a couple of glasses of vino del casa!


Melissa the confused cat is here again. Dawn made me feed her this morning. She's trying to break me down to let her in the flat but I am being tough and will never crack! Mwah hah hah.


First day at work tomorrow. Darn it!!

No comments:

Post a Comment