Monday 19 April 2010

mercoledi 21st aprile 2010






















On Sunday, I was outside on my ergo. Which I realise that since I haven't blogged for ages that I haven't discussed. So yes, rowing machines do not seem to exist here in gyms (palestra) - despite me thinking it was an integral part of every gym around the world - not so here in Siena. I looked in all the gyms I could find and eventually gave up. So I committed to the idea of buying one, but that also was very difficult. I was thinking about buying one in the UK (2nd hand approx 600 GBP) and getting my parents to drive over with it - they have talked about driving down some time. But my need was/is as great as my wait, so with the help of an Italian colleague I tackled eBay. Again, it is subtely different. And subtle in ways that I don't understand. There do seem to be some traditional auctions, and some sort of fixed price sales, but I don't get it. Eventually we found a Concept II Rowing Machine (vogatore), for sale in Bologna (aprox 2 hours away) for 350 EUR - bargain. My friend rang him up and he said that it was about 5 years old but had only been used three times, the screen was not working - but due to batteries only, and that 350 EUR was the final price - I snapped it up!


So, returning from a weekend in the UK, of karate and sparring (back in Hitchin club - wonderful to be back in the Hitchin club and I felt sooo comfortable - it felt "right" if you know what I mean), two fry ups :), hair cut (I'm still not brave enough to risk an Italian hair cut - I'm sure it would involve glitter or grease, or probably both), a 30th birthday in the O2 which was great and involved drinking and eating my body weight in meat at a Brazilian BarBQ, and fighting and passing my combat course, despite getting thoroughly beaten with proper bruising and cuts, and fish finger sandwiches and TurboGuiness - which T-bone actually liked! and then getting up super early to catch the stupid early flight (up at 3:30 am!) I arrived in Italy on Easter Monday and Dawn came to pick me up at a half way point for us to drive to Bologna to pick up the ergo. However, the Easter Monday traffic was mental, poor Dawn it had taken her 3.5 hours to do about 70km to get to me, I was super tired and eventually we got to Bologna. I managed to find the guy, who spoke no English at all (how very dare he!?) and it was indeed practically unused, I took along batteries and the display worked fine, and 350 EUR was the price. Absolute bargain. Drove back, a little quicker but still not great.


I digress, Sunday I was on my ergo. On the terrace. About 6pm, in the sun, when our neighbour Giuseppe came for a chat. It was "cold" for him! I was walking around in my lycra - hotter than hot - at 6pm. He took me around the garden, around the onions and chillis, and potatoes and herbs and bean and everything (it's quite large) and he explained how the ground was cold and all his plants were at least 6 weeks behind where they would normally be. "It is strange" (e strano) he said. He has never witnessed weather like it - he is an outdoors worker so I know he has an affinity for the weather, but it looked and felt great to me!


Also, he showed some damage wear the cinghiale - wild boar, had got into the garden and eaten a few things and smashed down the fence. I would love to see one and maybe eat it like Obelix on a big wooden plate :) Giuseppe keeps giving us stuff from his garden - cabbage, garlic - all wonderfully delicious!


Last Friday Isma came around and we continued our playing, we have selected some songs - some Italian and some International and it is great fun - really enjoying it. Finding it hard to understand the Italian music reading though - instead of A, Bm, C# etc they have Do, Re, Mi- - e strano!
I have attached the pictures from the visit to the oldest bank in the world - Monte dei Paschi di Siena. Talked about it last time.

No comments:

Post a Comment