Saturday 24 March 2012

Ironbounce

Ironbounce



I am now 12 weeks into my Ironman training, I just discovered this post below that I had indeed not posted. So I will add to it and see what happens.


I am 12 weeks in to a 24 weeks approach to an Ironman. (http://mos.triradar.com/Training_Plans/Build_Ironman_Foundation.pdf)
I have lost 10 kg.
I have not drunk or smoked in 2012.
I have not eaten dairy, or processed grain for 6 weeks.
I have kept 100 % to my training program.
Dawn is an Ironman widow.

That's the highlights, and I can break it down further.
I am a terrible, terrible swimmer, need to stop swimming like this...


And start swimming like this.



When I am strapped for time, the first thing that I sacrifice is my swimming, which is my weakest sport, rather than cycling or running which are "stronger" (it's all relative!).
I have bought a LOT of books.
I have bought, or am in the process of buying a lot of tools:
Aerobars
Aerowheels
Aerobottle
Aerohelmet
Wetsuit
Swimwatch
Tyres
Pull buoy
Swim paddles
Goggles





I have spent a LOT of money at the online ironman store. Actually - that's a lie - I have bought a lot of things but they have all been absolutely excellent value. At first it was limited to essential kit, however, now it has become a little more frivolous and has become "leisure wear" as well as kit.



I have bought:
Technical top
Three tri-suits
Flip flops
2 caps
1 vizor
Transition bag
Pants
Arm warmers
Jumper
Shirt

Almost anything with an M-Dot. Hey - if I'm gonna do this, I'm gonna do it hard.

So far training has been tough. The last week, I have felt very tired, I have a slightly swollen throat and need to be careful, prior to this I have been feeling triple tough. I have trained between 9 and 11 times a week. I added in the extra two sessions - weight sessions to make sure I had core strength.
I am loving it.
I am very tired, and need to sleep.
When I don't sleep I get grumpy.
I am eating A LOT, and I am on a paleo diet - so no dairy, alcohol, bread or pasta (great idea whilst living in Italy!).
My target weight is 80 kg.



I am absolutely loving it.
The sun has come out in the past few days, today I cycled in 20 C bright sunshine and loved it.
It is far far better than work.

However, now I am entering into the final twelve weeks. The training program ramps up extremely hard. It is time to Harden the Fck Up.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=unkIVvjZc9Y

Every weekend there are rides of more than 5 hours, up to 7 hours of riding. During the week the runs ramp up to 20 miles. 20 miles!! That means I need to bang out a 20 mile run before going to work!! This will be difficult to handle with my work schedule, but I will do it.

I will HTFU.






I am 6 weeks into my Ironman training.

This week I broke one of my little rules - I actually paid for an app for my iPhone. Maybe I am becoming weak as I actually bought two apps this week, that's two lots of GBP 0,69 which is a lotta cash. The novelty one was Yahtzee Adventures. This is the fault of Richard Herring, recently, as part of my regular survival packages, I spent over GBP 300 on DVDs and books, and one of them was Richard Herring's Christ on a Bike - a comedy show about the life of "Jesus" - wonderful stuff. I was vaguely aware of Richard Herring from the 90s - First of Fun, This Morning with Richard not Judy, plus "moon on a stick" and then I had forgotten all about him until I got my iPhone 3 and started to download podcasts. Podcasts are the most amazing thing - free little programs, up to 2 hours long, some weekly, some daily, some monthly - I loved them in the UK, and now I am in exile I double triple love them. Richard Herring teamed up with Andrew Collins to make Collings and Herrin which ran for about 3 years and was amazing, sadly they called an end to it about 6 months ago. So, they churned out an hour's worth of free entertainment every week for a couple of years, so I am paying them back by buying all their DVDs and books. Anyway, one of the extras on Christ on a Bike is a tongue in cheek guide on how to play Yahtzee. I relented, and after finding the stats options on the free Yahtzee downloads less than perfect, I downloaded Yahtzee Adventures which is the one he plays. And it is good. The other app I had downloaded was the Whats App - I think everyone has it. Another furious GBP 0,69 - but it's good to stay in touch with the P and Ratief. Although, for some reason, it doesn't seem to work when I am using wireless, strange.
Anyhooo, I have downloaded 220 TriLog which allows me to log all my triathlon sessions, and generate graphs and stats. Being a lover of science I am all over the graphs.







http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XhL_Gp21oK0&feature=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1fmZmKsL5eE

No comments:

Post a Comment