Wednesday 1 February 2012

More footy 1st febbraio 2012

More footy 1st febbraio 2012


It's a snowy day today, very snowy, and some football matches are off. I think that Italian football is a little off. The teams that have visited Siena have been rather less than impressive, despite Siena still languishing just one place above relegation. We have not seen a great team, not seen anyone pick Siena apart. Interestingly I would say that about 85% of the players on the pitch at any one time are Italian. Now that must bode well for the Italian game this year. And I hope they do well, although I will really struggle to pick out any standout stars for the Azzurri.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/15846874

I have seen very little English football since I got here, not having (legal) access to football TVchannels, and I cannot see how well the English players are going, but England teams fall into one of two camps: a) underperforming, or b) overrated. Whichever it is, the end result is the same, I would like to see Fabio Capello turn this around but again we shall see. I hear a lot about Mario Balotelli and would like to see him play, he sounds as mad as a bag of porcupines and thrice as spikey. Italian teams tend to be steady, but despite the profound differences and allegiances in the country seem to pull together well for a championship (World Cup 2010 excepted). And of course that is clearly demonstrated with having 4 World Cup wins (only Brazil have more) and won that amazing game in 2006, most remembered for the headbut on Materazzi by Zidane. Awesome. A great football evening, certainly much better than the damp swuid of the Arse in the Champions League final of the same year. However, my favourite game remains the stunning turnaround of Liverpool winning the Champions League final against A.C. Milano in 2005, with six career-defining minutes of Stevie Gerrard, and the penalty shootout to end al penalty shootouts. I think, I must say that I was as pissed as a fart, in Norwich, seeing over copious lagers and if I recall correctly, a kebab feast - ah, the mighty kebab feasts, the greatest food that Prince of Wales Road, Norwich, East Anglia, and the whole of England can provide! I believe it involved a shed of kebab meat, a garlic cheese pizza, sauces, chilli sauce, chillis, garlic mayo - and all enough for four people. I remember ordering them and making them last me for two evenings. Happy days!

I digress, the former also reminds me of one of those pre-move memories I have of Italy, and this of course is of the great James Richardson, on Channel 4 on a Sunday morning in the 1990s, reviewing Italian football live on Football Italia, reporting from the Piazza San Marco in Roma, reading La Gazzetta and giving some great commentary.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Football_Italia


Interestingly, it turns out that he was no great Italian speaker, or indeed lover of football and was only there chasing a broad, classico! Or should I say - Gooooalllllazzo!!!

http://europeanfootballweekends.blogspot.com/2010_11_01_archive.html

Looking back there are some classic classic moments. Check it out!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kHXfHFNlJ_w
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3HQZnLqmqjM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qlapdOpgOzI

And whilst we're at it, let's look at some Gascoigne at Lazio!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8jrUGBvPsck&feature=related

Meanwhile, back in current days, a great game between Palermo and Milan (of course, there is no snow in Sicily) has gone to 4-3!

And that also allows me to extend my knowledge of Italy before I came, and that was of course the term "Italian Shower" - thanks Harry for that one. Too late, at University, to grab a shower before going out, or going in, or after training? Simply deploy a can of smelly deoderant, and Hey Presto! Italian Shower.

Inter - Palermo is now 4-4!!


Avanti!

No comments:

Post a Comment