Tuesday 24 May 2011

Vino vidi vici 24th maggio 2011




Italian pricing is very strange compared to what I am used to back home. In the UK clothes can be cheap, food can be very cheap and cheerful, and even booze can be cheap and cheerful, although it seems to get ever pricier.


In Italy, things are a little different. Clothes are very expensive (plus they don't fit me!), food is very expensive (but it is of generally great quality (if over fresh and expires quickly)), but booze is cheap, incredibly cheap. Wine especially is just a bit mental - how this would happen in the UK I just don't know - people would go crazy with the prices of wine, spirits and beer.


Some time ago I committed to doing a review of some of the cheaper end prices for wine. Today I will continue, but I must say that in the interim I have found that wines are so cheap that there is no point in buying the cheap ones. In fact, my tastes have changed somewhat over the past few months that I have been here and I have enjoyed a number of wines and have pushed further into the more expensive areas.


Chianti: Around here we have Chianti, this is hot Chianti region. I don't really like Chianti!


Brunello: Brunello is, according to me, one of the two great wines in the area. Brunello comes from Montalcino using Sangiovese grapes. It is strong and deep and simply wonderful. A reasonable bottle costs about €30, we have some bottles at home that are over €90, although recently there were some on offer in the Pam supermarket for €10 - 2006 I think. Not so bad, but a bit young and will be fantastic in two years - likelihood of it lasting for that time = approximately zero!


http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Brunello_di_Montalcino


Vin nobile: Vin nobile di Montepulciano is in my view very similar to Brunello, using the same Sangiovese grape. This has less cachet than Brunello, is a little cheaper, usually about €25 for a good bottle, but in my mind is slightly better.


http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vino_Nobile_di_Montepulciano


Nero D'Avola: This Sicilian wine, which I first sampled for the first time in Sicily a couple of weeks ago is a very different taste - it is dark and complex and actually preferable to the others, in my humble opinion.


http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nero_d%27avola


Which brings me on to today's subject. Yesterday in the Pam Supermarket I found some Sicilian Nero D'Avola for €0.99 per bottle. Please see the attached pipctures.


Zu Terzia

Nero D'Avola

2010

Strength 12.5%

Usual price €1.99 per bottle


As a review, I would say that this is a good and very drinkable wine. Needs a good amount of time to chambre, better with air through the wine, and better at a slightly warmer room temperature.


In fact, tonight I will go back and buy another 10 bottles! Salute!!

No comments:

Post a Comment